Friday, June 1, 2012

Mariners: May in Review

Maybe this isn't the best time for me to write a review as my over all opinion might be skewed by the 21-8 box score I'm looking at right now. Maybe this isn't the best time for me to be critical of a 23-30 team who just threw up 20 hits (including 10 extra base hits) on the best team in the American League. Yeah, maybe it's not.

But I'm still going to.

Let me just start by inserting a 'booyeah', 'hell yeah' and 'take that, Texas' into this paragraph. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the game live due to Husband duties, and the game was ultimately spoiled for me while I was wandering aimlessly throughout the local Ikea. But the highlights were magical. And the box score is boner inducing.

Justin Smoak, 1 of his 2 home runs last night.
Justin Smoak seems to be turning it around. Last 7 games he is 9/24 with 5 extra base hits. I'm holding my breath, but last nights 2 bombs maybe what the young first baseman needs to finally get off and running.

The biggest revelation of the season those continues to be Kyle Seager. Last year, the only thing he seemingly brought to the table was that his name wasn't Chone Figgins. This year he seems to have found a power stroke. Kyle at times looks like our best hitter (even better than the great Dustin Ackley) and his 22 extra base hits this season don't take away from that statement.

May was a particularly strong month for Kyle "Not Chone" Seager with  7 doubles, 4 home runs. Needless to say, I feel like we could be looking at our future 3rd baseman and I'm really glad he isn't the guy who used to play for the Angles.

And yes, I'm aware I wrote a "Chone Figgins is Back" post not too long ago. Blow me, I get really excited very quickly.

Outside of Seager though, the rest of the team is a headache. In May, we went 12-17 and Chone Figgins still has a locker spot. Maybe this series against Texas, and the 33 runs we have scored, will be the start of something beautiful.

I'm crossing my fingers.

No comments: