Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cabeza De Vaca can Suck my Cock-a

Monday was somewhat of a milestone for me. For the first time in nearly three years, I packed up my backpack and took my ass back to class. Yes, I am a officially a college boy again. Somewhere, my mother is smiling.

Waking up at the crack of dawn (8 am) I traveled a great distance ( 15 minute drive time) to get to my first ever class at WSU-V (Washington State University Vancouver). Jokes aside I was nervous as shit about my first day. After all I was making a pretty big commitment here.

I was jumping back into the pool with out testing the waters. Full time student, full time employee, AND full time boyfriend. If you look at available time as a full pie, after all that I get left with crumbs. The way I originally had my schedule organized barely left me enough time to shit, let alone any video game, gym or beer time. I knew heading into my first day that this was going to be intense, and I may grow to regret it.

My class schedule was History 40-something. English 402. Philosophy and a Humanities class focusing on "Hip Hop and Film in Society". Now I know it's almost been 3 years since I turned in my last final, but I can still sniff out the classes that are going to have a ton of homework. And all four of those classes reaked of it.

I showed up to my first class a little early. The people who were the before me were scattered through out the room. The lights were still off in the room and no one was really talking. A couple of whispers here and there. Mostly just dark and quiet. Already not enjoying the vibe.

Class was about two minutes away from starting and the professor hadn't showed up yet. I was the only one sitting at my table. I kept thinking about how I wish I knew someone in this class. Literally seconds later the door swung open, and in walked my buddy Turd from High School. Thank you God, I thought. Maybe this won't be so bad.

The professor came in a few moments later. He was a tall, string bean looking nerd of a man. I would never question that this guy was a history professor. Lets just say that if this dude was an actor, the only time he'd get work is if the scene needed a history professor.

He made it clear from the begining this was not going to be the class for me.

"I'm (I honestly forgot his name already, so you can fill in the blank). Hopefully, you are all in the right class. This is History 406 (I think that was the number). " Yes, yes I am. His introduction was typical. It had a bit of smugness that comes with every dude who spent their entire twenties in college and sober. Nothing I haven't encountered before. So far so good. He then add's this fun little ice breaker. "We will be studying Coloniol America. It's an important time period for all of you, since I imagine you are all History majors."Uh... I'm an English major.

" Or whatever you are. Hopefully not a pointless a major like English." HEY! FUCK YOU DUDE.

Now he did go on to say that he was joking but the comment had me questioning everything. Doubt had crept into my mind and the syllabus hadn't even come out yet.

They syllabus came and only solidified my doubt. The class was requiring me to read multiple read books, on top of two text books (5 all together). A book report along with Weekly essays. Two research essays. By-weekly Tests, and a partridge in a pair tree! Welcome back to school, I thought. This is my first quarter back? Really!? What dumbass picked these classes?!

I mean this is my first quarter back. I haven't studied dick other then box scores in three years. Any essay I had written has either been about my itchy penis, black outs, or sports. Then keep in mind that I work full time. That means I go to class at nine in the morning, and I leave work at eight at night. Saturday is the only day where I don't have class or work. Or how about the girlfriend!? I'm no miss Cleo, but I saw into the future at that moment: I was locked in a padded room, wearing a straight jacket, and drooling everywhere while some old lady came in and read my Dr. Suess books once a week.

SCREW THIS! The message was clear from the professors joke and the syllabis :this class is not going to be for you!

After I left class that day I went home (I had a few minutes before work), confirmed that dropping that class wasn't going to screw up my financial aid (it wasn't), then promptly told class 'thanks, but no thanks'.

I guess it's better to check the temperature before jumping into the deep end.

No comments: