Sunday, September 5, 2010

Questions about Pete Carroll and the Seahawks

One week from today my Seattle Seahawks make theri 2010 debute against the San Fransisco 49ers. And I'm not really sure how I feel about that.

I've been extremely flip floppy in my anticipation over the up coming season. A month ago, I would've been ok with skipping the NFL and going to straight to the NBA season. Two weeks ago (after my first fantasy draft) I was ready for the NFL, but strictly for gambling purposes. One week ago, after my second draft (and a masterful one at that), was stoked for the upcoming year. Still, my excitement is primarely reserved for Fantasy purposes.

Excitement for Fantasy Football aside, I remain alarmingly skeptical about the 2010 version of my Seahawks. And for good reason- I have no idea what to expect from this team.

Initally I expected a shitty year and a strong push for local boy Jake Locker. Evidence from the last two years strongly supports that expectation. The Seahawks, who are only 5 years removed from playing in the Superbowl, are a combined 9-23 since they last won the NFC west in 2007.

They're big move in the offseason this year was the firing of Jim Mora after one season, and quickly replacing him with NCAA refugee Pete Carroll (who brings with him an NFL career record of 33-31 and a life time of bad Karma from bailing on USC once shit hit the fan with the players recieving money scandle).

I gotta take a break right there.

To be honest, I've actually been looking at that last paragraph for a half hour and I have no idea where to go. 9 months after we hired him and I'm still confused as to why. Seriously, what do we gain by bringing him in?

I get that he was a very successful coach in college. I'll give him that (I won't even mention that his former team just got bitch slapped by the NCAA for violations involving players recieving money-oops). But that was college. This is the pro's. And in the NFL, he was mediocre. He coached one year with the Jets going 6-10. His next stab at being a head coach came when he took over the New England Patriots (the year after their Superbowl loss to the Greenbay Packers). He lasted 3 years that time going 27-21 and missing the playoffs his final year.

Again I'm torn. Here we have a coach who has an above .500 record as a head coach, but was fired twice in four seasons. He had unrivaled success for nearly a decade in college, but suddenly became available for a return to the NFL when it was discovred that former USC stars recieved illegal contributions under his watch. He took the Patriots to the playoffs in 97 and 98. In '99 he missed the playoffs, and was ultimately let go.

In 2001, the New England Patriots the Superbowl.

Lets give Pete the benifit of the doubt with that whole situation. After all the 2000 Patriots only won 5 games. So they techniqually were worse without him. The '01 Patriots team wasn't oozing with talent either. It was Bill Belichick turning in one of the all time great coaching performances by taking nothing more then average talent (led by unknown back up QB Tom Brady) and getting them to grossly over achieve while he schemed their way to stealing a Superbowl from the offensive powerhouse St. Louis Rams.

The question as always: was Pete that bad, or was Bill that good?

Signs point to Bill being that good. After all, he does have three rings and coached the only team since 1972 Dolphins to go undefeated during the regular season.

Also an interesting stat to look at: Belicheck's record through his first four years as head coach: 31-33. Which doesn't mean anything, but worth looking at anyway. Especially when trying to stir up excitement for your team.

Do I expect Carroll to be like Belicheck. No, no, no, I do not. Do I expect Seattle to win more games with him then they did with Mora? Thats the thing, I don't know.

On paper, Carroll is basically bringing back the same damn team. They have added RB Leon Washington, and rookies Golden Tate, Earl Thomas and prized first round draft pick Russel Okung (who already has a right ankle sprain). Most of the core guys are still there. Matt Hasselback, Justin Forset, Marcus Trufant, Lofa Tatupa and Aaron Curry all remain in uniform. Returning players is all fine and good, but those core guys gave us a 5 win season. Forgive me for not doing cart-wheels.

I understand they were injury depleted. Hasselback, Trufant and Tatupa all missed serious time last year. And I have been known to defend Hasselback till I'm blue in the face, often by citing "no quarterback has the abillity to complete passes while laying on their back." That being said, the question as always-why should I think this year is different?

Am I supposed to believe that our offensive line is going to give Hasselback some breathing room and help keep him on his feet? They're already having issues with Okungs ankle and the sudden departure of Alex Gibbs (Gibbs, known as the "Godfather of Zone Blocking" was our offensive line coach). Is it possible that our D-Line is going to be able to stop anybody? They sure couldn't last year.

Here is a big question, am I supposed to buy into the 'Mike Williams is going to be an upgrade over TJ Houshmandzadeh?' theory?


Thats what the Seahawks believe, or atleast what they're trying to sell us after the suprise releasing of the former All-Pro on Saturday. TJ Housmandzadeh is out after one season. Mike Williams is in after being out of the league for the last two years due to him being fat. The Seahawks have dropped our top producing Reciever and someone who had guarenteed money coming to him to make room for one of Carrolls former USC recievers. This isn't the first time I've seen this move, where a team pays someone to NOT play for their team. It happens alot actually. The Blazers did it to Steve Francis. What makes this situation unique is the fact that paying someone to not play for your team is typically reserved for shit heads who can't stay out of trouble and are taking more off the table then they're putting on. But TJ isn't a shit head, and most importantly-HE WAS STILL PRODUCING!


I know Mike Williams played good in the pre season, but that doesn't say much. It's still the preseason. He is going to have to produce like the former 1st round pick that he is all season. He better have a made for Hollywood style comeback year, for this situation not to smell like shit. It is absolutely a must for him to play out of his damn mind if the Seahawks want us to forget they're paying TJ almost 7 million dollars to play somewhere else this season.


Lots of questions. Lots, and lots of questions going into the season. Is our O-Line going to block somebody this year? Or does Hasselback have to upgrade his health insurance? Is Mike Williams going to still look like a monster when he isn't covered by guys who will be pumping gas a week from now? Is Pete Carroll going to be able to avoid repercussions from the karmic holocaust he caused with his departure of USC? 7 day's till those questions start getting some answers.


On the subject of our coaching change, I guess I'm willing to give Carroll a chance. I have to. The Seahawks have given me no choice. It feels like a forced family vacation to Idaho. I'm not happy about it, but the Seahawks are my team and I'm going to support them for better or worse.

On the brighside, if we suck again this year...we can always fire him and draft Jake Locker!

No comments: