Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ramlings: The Return

June is shaping up to be a great month. The Mavericks beat the Heat, I found material to actually write about (and found time to do it in), and The Mariners are still competative. Also, we are balls deep into the Summer Movies (and much like writing, I actually have found time to few them).

Since the Summer Blockbuster season officially starts in May, lets ramble through some thoughts about what I've seen so far (and whats coming up).


  • Fast and Furious was phenominal. I loved every minute of this shit movie. This franchise is so corney its only a matter of time before Paul Walker breaks the fourth wall and winks after a one liner. That being said, they found a lane, stuck to it, and are taking it straight to the bank. Fast Six, yes please.

  • Thor was awesome. It was even educational for some. Take my brother for example, because of Thor we had this exchange: "Do you think Actors do steroids?" Jesse asked me, while looking at a picture of Chris Hemsworth. "Yes." I replied blankly. You see, now Jesse knows steroids aren't just for athletes and the dudes on Jersey Shore.

  • Never thought I'd say this but maybe it's time we stop making Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

  • Holy shit, they made a Moneyball Movie. For those of you who don't know what that is, allow me to explain: Moneyball was a book written by Oakland Athletics GM Billy Beane about how he built a competative franchise in a broke ass market; in a sport that has no sallary cap; which in turn allows big market teams (ie. New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, New York Mets) to spend more money annually than some countries GNP.

  • If that isn't enough, this movie will star Brad Pitt (as Beane) Phillip Seymore Hoffman ( as manager Art Howe) and Jonah Hill (as a scout).

  • I hope they handle the rampant steroid use of those early 2000's A's teams with Kid Gloves (remember: those teams featured Miguel Tejada and Jason Giambi).

  • X-Men: First Class was awesome. This was a refreshing change of pace because X Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine were abortions. Hey Patrick Stewart, James McAvoy just called you a bitch.

  • The only regret I had about the movie was the fact that the red dude with Nightcrawlers powers didn't have a scene where he was throwing googly eyes at Mystique (who is Nightcrawlers mom in the comics). I can't be the only person who thought about this.

  • Nice work by Hugh Jackman in his cameo. Easily his best work in years, and the first time in 8 years that he donned the Wolverine garb and it looked like he gave a shit.

  • Hangover 2: proved my 2 year theory that if you took the original Hangover, told us it was in Asia, put a transvesite (and have her show the dick), and put a 2 after it- we will all still watch it.

  • The Fiance recently went out to rent a movie and came back with a movie I've never heard of. By itself, this is not amazing. The feat is that she hadn't heard of the movie either, but chose to rent it because it had Zach Galifianakis on the cover. Boy, he's come along way since Out Cold.

  • Green Lantern lookes like a steaming pile of shit. And this is coming from the same guy who has seen Van Wilder 17 million times.

  • Captain America looks like the opposite of Green Lantern.

  • Anytime I see the Bad Teacher trailer I have a raging internal debate that never seems to find any resolution: Is Cameron Diaz hot? I don't think she has gave me a boner since I was 12 (which was a time when the wind caused by someone walking by me could've made little me stand up), but I see this preview and I can't help thinking to myself, "she has a good surgeon."

I had originally planned to wrap this up right here, but something pretty monsterous happend for the Mariners last night. With the Philladelphia Phillies in town last night our organizations most anticipated prospect since Felix Hernandez. Dustin Ackley mades his debute last night at 2b going 1-4 and turning a double play. If that weren't enough, the Mariners won. So far so good.


Felix takes the mound tonight, sorry Philladelphia.

No comments: