Monday, August 13, 2012

Great Debate: Russell vs Flynn

Damnit Pete, make up your mind.
 
We are under a month from opening kick off and the Seahawks are still entertwined in a two man QB battle. Making matters worse,  both seem very capable of being a starting QB.
 
It's becoming a hot arguement between me and the people I argue sports with. As polorizing a discussion I can remember having in regards to the Seahawks in recent years. Seriously, this is approaching the "Is Shaun Alexander any good?"  arguement from 2006.
 
So let me go a head and get on record with what I think should happen.
 
I think Pete Carroll should choose Matt Flynn as the starting Quarterback. Flynn, of course was signed presumably to be our starter a few months back after absolutely TORCHING the Lions in week 17 for 6 touchdowns. Not 1, not 2, not 3... But six. In the history of professional football there have only been 35 occassions where a QB has tossed 6 touchdowns or more. Matt Flynn and his 2 career starts has one of them. I don't care if the Lions started a secondary made of autistic children, they were professional autistic children and so Matt Flynn had a night for the ages.
 
So now he is a Seahawk. He came her to start and start he should. Granted, in his two outting so far he hasn't looked AWESOME, but he hasn't looked bad either. Atleast not bad enough to let Russell "The Love Muscle" Wilson jack his starting spot.
 
Now I know the arguement. And I agree, Russell has looked GREAT in the first two preseason games. But seriously, he is tossing seam passess against people who will be assistant coaching high school football in three weeks. Lets not get too excited.
 
Do I think Russell is good? Hell yeah. I fist pumped my shoulder out of it's socket when we stole him in the 3rd round. Does that mean I'm excited about starting a rookie QB? Hell no. Rookie Qb's struggle. This defense is good enough to make the playoffs. We have good recievers. We have a franchise running back. Bitch, lets play for keeps.
 
Let Russell Wilson  "Carson Palmer"  under Matt Flynn. If Flynn sucks, then we can go Wilson. If Flynn gets hurt, we can go Wilson. But let Flynn prove he isn't our starter first.
 
He deserves that.
Full disclosure: I think Russell Wilson will be our starting Quarterback when we contend for Superbowls. But the dude is 24. There is no reason to not atleast see what we have with Flynnsanity.
 
I'm not going to be upset if #3 gets the nod. But alot of people think I am Russell bashing. I'm not. I just feel the need to preach patience. You know?
 
Of course, Pete Carroll is probably going to name Russell the starting QB and I will have to explain to everyone that I wasn't against him; I was just FOR Flynn. You know, because nobody will actually read this. 

No comments: