Sunday, May 1, 2011

5 game win streak ends..

Yes, The Mariners put together 5 wins in a row. On the road no less. Feel free to take a moment to let that sink in.

Over the last five games, the Mariners have done a fairly convincing job pretending to be fielding a major league caliber batting order averaging a shade over 6 runs a game. Now I'm not about to relive last years box scores, but I'm pretty sure that could be the best five game stretch in the last 13 months. Feel free to prove me wrong.

How have they done it? Well outside of six runs a game, their pitching has been LIGHTS OUT. All five starters pitched good enough to get a win and no game has seen a team score more then 4 runs. Again, this is being done on the road. Against Detroit and Boston. Feel free to take a moment to let THAT sink in.



The M's have hit a shocking four home runs over this five game stretch. Miguel Olivio and Justin Smoak each homered twice. Smoak, who returned from brievement right before the win streak began, is quickly proving that he is the most compitant non Ichiro hitting Mariner in the last 5 years. If he keeps this up, I have every intention of naming my first son after him.

Unfortunately, today the Mariners remembered they were the Seattle Mariners and shit away a lights out Felix performance for a 3-2 loss. It was heartbreaking to see them return to their unwatchable form. Don't get me wrong; it's not like I was thinking they were living a real life Disney movie here- despite the streak, I wasn't conjuring up fantasies of shocking the world in October. I'm heartbroken more because for the first time in 13 months I was watching a team that could keep my attention for longer then an opening frame. Last year was so awful, the Mariners had no chance of making my tv unless Felix was pitching. Not even a fraction of hope.

But today they seemingly came back to reality. It was their 16th loss in 29 tries and they still play in a division that features last year's American League Chapions, the Texas Rangers- so my expectations haven't changed much.

The only thing that has changed is my desire to actually WATCH these games. As long as they can be competative ( thats not much to ask for since these are professional Baseball players) they will have my attention all summer. Thats all I ask.



Of course winning would be cool, too.

No comments: