Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mariners: August in Review

I've got to be honest, I've checked out on the 2011 season. At the end of June, I disconnected my cable to save money for my wedding. In July, the wheels fell off the bandwagon and I managed to keep tabs in horrified curiosity. However, August saw me take on tasks like, de-bachelor my apartment, participate in my Honeymoon (where I was unable to check ESPN) and then start school up again.

I'm a full time dad, full time husband, full time employee of a nationally recognized financial institution, and a part time student. Following the Mariners had to get put on the back burner. After all, it's not like they are giving me a reason to make an appointment with their brodcasting (of course this does not go for Felix and Pineda starts. They are still must see).

Still, even 2 out of every five games is more effort into this years team then Chone Figgins put. Thank God he finally got that season ending hang nail I predicted.

I would feel like I was lying if I came out and ranted about the month of August having not paid it much attention outside of looking at box scores and checking up with their blogs. It's just not proper journalism (or is it...).

That being said, I do think Mike Carp will be our DH to start next season. In the month of August he batted .313 with 6 Hr's 25 RBI's. That shames anything Jack Cust did this year.

The interesting thing going into September to pay attention to will be this:


  • Will someone get to 20 HR's? Olivo is the leader in the club house with 16 to date. Justin Smoak, who returned to the team this week would need, is the only other Mariner over 10 Home Runs and he is sitting at 12. Due to a thumb injury, he hasn't homered since June- so don't bet a pay check on him getting hot.

  • Can Felix get to 15 wins? He's got 13 right now, and probably 4 starts remaning. But this is the Mariners we are talking about... and sometimes they forget how to score runs.

Lets hope they don't forget how to score runs. Again.

No comments: