Saturday, April 25, 2009

Scouting Reports

Today while I was bored at work, I logged on ESPN. This is not breaking news. I spend most of my waking hours reading articles, checking box scores or adjusting fantasy lineups. But today I found an article that I found positively enlightening.  

It was about Randy Johnson getting ahold of scouts notes on him from when he was in High School, College and in summer leagues. It was kind of funny to read scouts shitting all over the potential of someone who would eventually go on to be the most dominate left hander of the last 40 years. With in the next couple of weeks he should be at three hundred wins, an absolute heroic mark for pitchers in this era of conservative coaching decisions and pitch counts.

One scout said his fastball would be no better then "average". AVERAGE?!?! WHAT !? I'd say Randy Johnson's fast ball is a tad better then average. Don't believe me? Ask his 4808 career strike outs, they will give you a tad different answer. Or go watch the clip where he a bird flew in the path of one of his pitches, and BLEW UP.

So where these douche bags totally missed the boat on the 5 time cy young winner, it got me thinking... I wonder what the scouts said in regards to MY athletic prowess during my developmental years.

Lucky for all of us,  it took little research for me to find that answer. Here are a couple of the highlights:

May 1994, White Salmon Little League- I was watching some of the kids play little league the other day down at the field. Have you seen this Belvin kid out in Right Field? He picked so much grass out there, the city won't have to hire a grounds crew for the whole season. Just have him rotate outfield positions through out the game. He won't miss a spot.

May 1995, White Salmon Little League- I caught a local Little League game the other day. Hood River Inn was playing. I got a good chuckle at watching Mike Belvins boy up there. This kid came up to bat, called his shot like he was the second coming of Ruth, then promptly struck out on three pitches. I've never seen anyone laugh as hard as his mom did.

March 1997, AAU basketball- Belvin, Andy- So I took this kid because he is best friends with two of the kids I wanted. He's decent for being undersized. Maybe better then some of the kids, but plays the same position as my son so I'm going to make him ride pine. Hopefully that will shatter his confidence. You gotta break the competition early.

January 1998, White Salmon Community Youth Basketball- We're playin the team coached by Butler next week. They got some good kids. I'm not sure about the Belvin kid though. The game I watched he scored something like 18 points. But in the same game I saw him shoot the ball over the back board, and I'm not sure but while I was saying hi to someone, I'm pretty sure he shot another one into the same spot the next time down the court.

September 1998, White Salmon 7th Grade Football- I watched the 7th graders in their hitting drills. Want to see if we have any early potential. Saw the funniest thing I've ever seen. Number 84, which I think is the Belvin kid, kept sneaking back behind people in the hitting drills until he matched up with someone smaller then him. I think he only entered the thing twice. Can't blame him, I've seen 8 year olds that are bigger then him. Smart bastard.

January 1999, White Salmon 7th Grade Basketball- Belvin, Andrew- Can't run, can't jump. Ugly two handed shot. Tries to play like he is an NBA Power Forward. I tell him to watch Steve Smith, and not Rasheed Wallace. This kid wouldn't be a Power Forward on the girls 7th grade team. One positive, he has one WICKED bowl cut. 

May 2000, White Salmon Babe Ruth Baseball- Belvin, Andrew- So I got this kid again on my team. He is pretty undersized, but other then that, doesn't really put anything on the table or take anything off. He has developed a quick wit though, and we got High School girls coming by and cheering him on. I thought benching him when he was in 5th grade would've done the trick, but somehow confidence is still there. Never fear, I have the remedy. I'm going to bench him in Baseball too. But not just for one game, I'm talking whole double headers. I'll just "forget" to put him in. I hear baseball is his favorite sport, so this should destroy him. Seriously, I'm a genius. 

November 2000, Basketball Tryouts- I had Belvin when he was in 7th grade. He got a little taller, and he knock down a shot here and there. I know he likes basketball so if he devotes time outside he should end up being good. 

December 2001, Jv Basketball- Scott told me I'm going to like Belvin. Says he hustles and has potential. He was wrong. He just has a big mouth, and him and Hunsaker piss me off. They never stop talking. 

April 2003, Un-named Whiffle Ball League- THIS KID IS A F**KING LEGEND IN THE  MAKING. 

See, everyone makes mistakes, and it's easy to over look talent.



No comments: