Sunday, July 24, 2011

Car Wreck: 2011 is over

Two weeks ago I began writing a 'half season review' for the Mariners. It started out a little somber because the Mariners had lost 5 in a row, and were heading into the All Star break 5 games under .500. Still for this team to be 43-48 heading into the break (especially when you consider how bad they had been offensively) didn't seem like much of a bad thing, and the tone of what I was writing was going to be overall optimistic.


But life happend and in typical fashion, I got distracted and put off the writing. Before I knew it, the second half of the season had started and by the end of the week the losing streak had been extended to 7 games.


Edit Note: I was at Texas game on the 14th for my Bachelor Party. I was shit faced and had two of my least favorite athletes of all time- Adrian Beltre and Chone Figgins- playing right in front of me. That night, we made Derek Holland (who I was calling Dexter, confusing him with the lead singer of The Offspring) look like he had a first class plane ticket straight to Cooperstown. He retired the first 15 batters of the game, forcing the 20 people in attendence to heavily contemplate rioting if we got Perfect Game'd. We ended up getting blanked by the kid, losing 5-0. This was their 6 straight loss.


So I thought to myself,"Screw it, I'll just wait till they win and write about how they need a bat." and with that I started to play the waiting game. 9 days later, I'm stil waiting.


The 2011 Seattle Mariners, who on June 19th were 2 games above .500, are currently the shamed owners of a 14 game losing streak, and threatening to not win another game till April 2012(that might be a little harsh, but with one more game against Boston, then a 3 game set in the Bronx, we could seriously be looking at a 18 game losing streak).


All I can say is: thankfully they managed to stay relevent untill the NFL figured their stuff out (ESPN reporting that we'll have a deal early next week). Unfortunately, they are declaired dead and we still have to watch them for 2 months. This could get ugly.



1 comment:

Rebeka said...

Ohhh Andy!
I hope you had a fun bachelor party!