Sunday, March 21, 2010

Seaside Adventure

I went to Seaside today with the Girlfriend and The Baby. It was not my idea, nor was I particularly fond of the idea when I woke up this morning. Despite my excuses on why we shouldn't go, The Girlfriend had her heart set on taking a trip-just three three of us. Ultimately, my lack of interest in taking the two hour drive submitted to The Girlfriends wants and my desire to spend the day with the two lovely ladies.

She had originally planned for us to leave by ten. This didn't happen. You see we decided to leave The Baby under the watchful eyes of Dad and StepMom, then we went out drinking the night away! Upon returning to my fathers house,we were confronted with the fact that The Baby had started another round of teething. Super. It must've hurt like hell because up untill that point, the Lil' One has never, and had never screamed like she did. Oh yeah, she screamed. And screamed. And screamed some more. She screamed for hours.

I'm not sure how much sleep we got last night, but it wasn't much. The Girlfriend, refusing to let a sleep depervation deprive her of Oregon Coast and it's magistry, still urged for us to continue with her plans. Reluctantly, I agreed.

We got on the road about 1 o'clock after we were good and cafinated. The Baby was again less then thrilled with life. I speculate she had every sub terianian tooth pushing at once by how grumpy she was.

However, she did find enjoyment during the car ride with a game she made up. It was very funny. You see she would wait till I was comfortable, maybe my eyes were closed. Then she would let out a little angry chirp to get my attention. Not wanting to hear a full fledged cry, I would oblige and give her my undivided attention. She would then give me the hand signal for 'more' insinuating that she wants more snacks. In this case they were cheerios.

The first couple times, I thought nothing of it. Gradually, her chirps became more frequent. 'No way you already ate those' I would think. Then I caught on to her game. She was putting them all over the back seat. Under her butt, under her car seat, on the floor. It didn't matter. She was like a squirl and those cheerios were getting stored for winter.

After what felt like 9 million years we finally get to Seaside. The town is not like I remember. I remember Seaside fondly for family adventures, as well as the location for my High School Senior Trip. It's the place where the 'Dewaholic' t-shirt was concieved. I'm pretty sure it's the place my parents went on their Honey Moon at. Needless to say, this wasn't my parents Seaside.

First of all, it's small. The buildings are insanely close together, where it felt like you had to
walk sideways to get in between them. The streets are narrow to the point where it was making me feel unsafe driving down them-and I was in the passenger seat. My anxiety started to act up a little.



Second of all, the people. Not a specific person, but the majority of the locals looked like extras from a "Hills have Eyes" sequal. We went into a burger joint I remembered being delcious, because we were both starving. The two dudes manning the grill both had a set of eyes that were so close together on their face they could be confused as cyclops's. The woman, who I imagine was the manager on duty talked as if she could exhale pure nicotine and looked like the spitting image of the Landlord from "Kingpin".

If that refrence is lost on you, please take a moment to refresh:
















Yummy. Alright, it's very possible she wasn't that bad, but this is my recollection of the events and I will recall it how I see fit. So suck it. Plus, it's so much better when you have visual aid. Enough of the fun, back to the story.

Third and most important, parking fucking sucks there. It was the Oregon coast in March. Not exactly a dream get away, yet there was still enough people to make us drive around looking for parking about 15 minutes longer then we should've.(side note: we found a parking lot behind the psuedo mall they have there and the situation was so tight that a bicyclist would've felt closterphobic navigating his shit through there. Anywho, some jackass in an SUV decided he would go his own way in the parking lot leading to a confusing moment where two cars were facing each other on a one way path. This didn't help anything.)

When we finally got a parking spot and unpack everything, it instantly starts to rain. Girlfriend is now frustrated. She is hungry, tired, and the rain is why she wanted to leave Vancouver. But the shit followed us. Totally lame.

Needless to say, we didn't last long in the city on the Side of the Sea. Just not that much to do there, at least while it's raining. Maybe if we got to go play on the beach it would've been more fun. Sadly, no beach for us. Just tacky gift shops and an over priced burger.

We did almost do one of those old time photos, which would've been cool. But Baby wasn't holding up and we couldn't decide on a pose. Oh well, maybe next time. Cuz there will be a next time.

Oh Seaside, we've had some good times, you and I. Unfortunately, This wasn't one of them. You were just too far of a drive for that day, your streets are too narrow and your people were extra creepy. We went there to play on your beach and you rained on us. Shame on you.

It wasn't a complete fail though, I mean I did get to spend that quality time with the Girlfriend and the Baby. So in that light, thanks Seaside.

And see you next time.

No comments: