Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Break out the Rye bread and the Mustard...


Today one of the more familiar voices from my childhood passed away. Long time play by play commentator for the Seattle Mariners, Dave Niehaus died today at age 75.


When I was growing up, often I would head out side when I was bored to hit the whiffle ball around the field. I would do this for hours pretending I was the rising star 3rd basemen for the Seattle Mariners, playing against who ever they were playing that night. I would even go as far to conduct interviews with myself, keep track of my offensive stats, and career milestones.


I used to set up all my at bats as if Niehaus himself was doing it. "Belvin at the plate..."


And when I connected on the long ball, well, we all know his call: " swung on and BELTED...DEEP TO LEFT FIELD... (insert fielders name) going back... to the Track... to the waaaallll.... GOOD BYE BASEBALL!"


Or everyones favorite, the legendary Grandslam call: "Bring out the rye bread and the mustard grandma, it's a graaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd saaaalllllaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmiiiiiiii.... "


It's shocking how a guy who I will never meet had such a huge impact on my life. He was the voice to my favorite team (as well as one of my favorite movies, the "My Oh My 1995 Mariners" Recap tape) and I guess to a growing sports fan, thats all he really needed to be. I may never have been able to introduce myself, or shake his hand, but make no mistake, when the news of "Uncle Daves" passing came to my phone, I got choked up.
This man had been there for everything. He saw the first pitch. He called Juniors first home run. He narriated the crappy years as well as the good. Go back and listen to highlight from 1995 (the first year Seattle made the playoffs) Dave gets so hyped up it sounds like he needs a cigerette when the play is over. I'm not joking, youtube Edgars double right now. Do it right now.
He had my dream job, before I knew it was my dream job. He watched Baseball for a living. The man was beyond a hero, he was a freaking inspiration.
After I heard the news, I took a break at work and texted all of my Mariner fan buddies. I texted my brother and I called my dad. We all felt the same. It was a sad, sad day.


We're all going to miss you, Dave. You weren't just the voice for The Mariners, you were the voice for the city of Seattle. We'll miss your style, your skill and your passion for an often passionless franchise.
Most importantly, we'll miss the way you used to freak out over a Junior warning track fly out.

(I don't need to miss the homerun call, I still got the tape )


Fly... Fly Away, Dave.

No comments: