Monday, September 10, 2012

Pump Your Breaks, Cardinals

First lets address the Gurilla in the room: You needed Kevin Kolb to shake off his frowny face, and comeplete 6 of 8 balls on a fourth quarter drive to beat us. So, good job there guys. You needed lightening to strike 6 time in order to squeak out a win at home.

You barely beat us, while we are starting a 3rd round Quarterback. I'm not using that qualifer to justify his lackluster 1st half, more as a tool to take away from your win. So suck it, douchebags. He is going to be great, I assure you. You beating him, at home, week 1 before your team has been mathmatically eliminated from exsisting is not something to beat your meat about.

"Sit down, Arizona. You guys suck."
Yes, you're 1-0. We are 0-1. But next week you'll still be starting John Skelton or Kevin Kolb and we will not be. Next week we'll have Marshawn Lynch. The same guy who torched you for 89 yards despite being shelved up with a stiff back for the better part of the last month. We get Beast Mode, you get Beanie. Seriously, are you in a better position than us? 16 weeks from now we will be the team in the playoffs while you are reading prospect scouting reports. But lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Right now, I'm all about yesterday. Yesterday I went 5-8 in my picks (6-8 with Wednesday game included). Yesterday, I lost both my fantasy games (a huuuge Fuck you to Carolina's playcalling, Rashad Jennings knee and ofcourse, Adrian Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings). And to top it off, after a week of relentless trashing talking over the interwebs, my beloved Chickens got off to a less than ideal start.

It happens. Hopefully never again, but it does. Here are some things we can hang our hat on as Seahawk fans: 1, Russell Wilson didn't play good. He played ok. His first game was a solid outting considering the circumstances (first professional game, on the road, division rival, Patrick Patterson, etc). But that games was far from good. He seemed timid. Especially in the first half. Granted, Lynch took forever to warm up and Russell was limited to 9 passes in the first half. But they weren't a quality 9 passes.

The second half he seemed to settle in. The Sideny Rice touchdown was gorgeous. He looked off 4 different recieiving options before going back to Sidney across the middle. 20 dollars says Tavaris Jackson was sitting in Buffalo, saw the highlight of that play and said, "ooooh, thats how you do it."

In fact, lets continue talking about Seattle's freshly minted QB 1. Yesterday his first half was not good. He looked like a rookie (atleast, how a rookie should look. Thanks RGIII for making everyone else look bad). But in the second half, he made plays when he had to. And I gotta say, there is something about the dude that inspires confidence. Even through a tv screen.

Russell Wilson had a rough game, yet I feel supremely confident in his abillity to lead this team. There is something about him that put me at ease during that drive. Something I never felt during the Hasselbeck era (despite how much I loved Matty Hass). I honestly feel like if that drive was replayed 9 more times, the result would end in a touchdown on atleast 8 of them.

Last night as the last drive was happening, I fired off a text to my brother, " The Legend of Russell begins right now." Obviously, the drive didn't result in a win. But I still believe in that message.



The other take from yesterday: our defense wasn't running on full blast. It was like they couldn't find a way to shift to 5th gear. Or 4th for that matter. They seemed slower than they did in preseason. I mean the usual suspects were solid. Chris Clemons had a sack. Red Bryant erased any hope for an Arizona run game, and swated a John Skelton pass like Dikembe used to destroy set shots. And the Richard Sherman pick was beeeeaaauuuutttiiiifffuuuullll.

Outside of that, even the Hurricane seemed unimpressive.

Next week is a different story. Seattle will open up home against Dallas. People are riding the "Dallas might be good" bandwagon after their Wednesday win, so naturally you take Seattle in that one.


This is called a handoff, Carolina.
As for fantasy, my one week marriage with DeAngleo Williams and the Carolina Panthers will hopefully  be over. I just can't rely on a team that neglegent with their playcalling. Seriously, if I were a Panther fan right now I would have the worst hangover ever.

Drew Brees was getting some early chatter for a possible run at 6,000 yards. If that defense plays like they did against RGIII, I don't see how thats going to be a problem. That defense is so bad he will probably be looking at 50 attempts a game. In other words, DROP MARK INGRAM NOW.

Lastly, how great was it to have Randy Moss and Peyton Manning back in our lives? Randy Moss is, and will always be one of my all time favorite players. He was my first jersey. I loved the highlights, and when I got older, I loved the douchy comments. I'm happy that he is back for a retirment tour. His td catch, especially being in Lambau, brought a smile to my face. Unfortunately, that smile was shit on immidiately after that, because  the rest of that 49ers/Packers game featured a slew of players that I was matched up against in my Fantasy leagues ( a special thank you to Frank Gore, who when is not torching the Seahawks in reallife, aparently likes to forget he is 29 and should be considering retirment).


And to the Middle Manning Child, who reminded everyone that he doesn't need his cannon arm to be a football Savant. He is a top-3 QB of all time, and didn't deserve to go out with a neck issue. I want Peyton to go out on his own terms. He deserves it. So watching 18 do what he does like he hadn't missed a full year was delightful.

No comments: