Friday, December 19, 2008

The best night on record

Holy Shit.

Seriously people. You ever have one of those nights where you are so happy that your face hurts? Then you're not able to sleep because you got like 50,000 thoughts bouncing about through your head like pieces of flubber (that might be a dated reference but "s" my "d" I'm tired, and I'm going to stick with it). Well lets just say that was me last night, and it was incredible.

What? You want to know what happened? Well, thanks for asking. At the risk of sounding super gay, I had the best night ever! Not even a four hour knob slobbing session starring my johnson and Megan Fox could have made it better. Ok, I lied. That would've taken the cake.

But since I wasn't the proud recipient of Megan Fox BJ, I'll stick to bragging about last night if you don't mind. And no, I didn't get laid.

But what did happen was arguably better. The night started off with some old friends and myself catching up at Olive Garden, where I had a plate of Raviolis that might've come straight from Gods personal pantry. They were that delicious. I seriously want to run to the top of the mountains and proclaim their majesty to the world.

From there I went home to wash my ass. I needed to make sure I was clean and free of funk, because I had plans with one good looking betty. Not gonna admit to being nervous, because there wasn't much to be nervous about. I wasn't planning on putting any moves on my good looking accomplice. However, I was definitely worried about denying any future forward progress by smelling like shit. I know, I know I'm a smooth operator.

I met up with the betty, and after slamming an energy drink I was good and ready to go... TO A BLAZERS GAME! Suns vs Blazers to be exact. This is a matchup I've been dreaming about watching in person for years, because of my unhealthy man crush on Steve Nash. This year, it became irresitible for me. Nash is the point guard to a team that features Grant Hill, Amare, Shaq, and J-Rich. I have long waited to see these players play.

So lets recap real quick. I'm in love with the Blazers. If I did a top 10 favorite sports teams of all time, the 08-09 Blazers are easily in the top three with the 2001 Mariners and the 2005 Seahawks. They will be number one on this list as long as they make the playoffs this year. Thats a foregone conclusion. I have two legit man crushes playing in this game. Brandon Roy and Steve Nash. I finally get to say I've seen Grant Hill, Shaq, Amare, and Jason Richardson play in person. And the cherry is, I'm taking a girl thats probably too hot to be hanging out with me. HIGH FIVE!

You jealous yet? Well if you're not get ready... you will be. In fact, before I go on, I want you to make sure there are no sharp objects around, or laces in your shoes. I don't want you taking your life after I blow your mind.... Go ahead, I'll wait.

(Waiting...)

(Waiting...)

Ok good. Thanks dude, I'm just looking out for your best interest.

So there we are, at the game minding our own business. Again I lied, the Garden was going freaking nuts. A sell out crowd who was not above booing Amare, and reminding Shaq that he is nothing but a shell of his former self. Oh and not only was I, and a surprising amount of my friends in attendance, but so was Anthony "Give it away, give it away now" Kiedis.
Yes, the lead singer of my favorite band (as well as one of the more popular bands to come from entertainment capital of Los Angeles) the Red Hot Chili Peppers was in the building. How I missed the fact that apparently he is a fan, I will never know. But it just goes to show you, that game recognizes game. The legend that is Kiedis recognizes the future legends that are The Portland TrailBlazers. I'm giddy right now.

The game itself, was a goodie. Scratch that. The game itself was a unbelievable. It's the kind of game I'll be telling my grand kids about. I'll keep the sports talk down to a minimum. But there were countless score changes, the Blazers fell down by over ten in the third quarter. I want to say it was 14 points. But like I mentioned before, this crowd was rocking. And about six minutes to go in the third Brandon Roy (who had 21 at that moment) decided,' you know what? Screw the Suns! I'm taking this bitch over'. And take that bitch over he did. He scored 15 points over the next four minutes without many people even noticing. I did, cuz I'm a stat nut. But it took him tying and passing his career high by the fourth quarter before people understood what was happening.

When he hit 40, I started hyperventilating. We had a whole quarter of crunch time (which should get renamed 'Roy's time' because thats when he takes over and scores the majority of his points) and he was already at a career high. If you actually pay attention to Roy as a player, then you knew 50 was not out of reach. And the scoring didn't stop. It just kept coming and coming and coming. Every basket was so exciting, that half way through the quarter I started to consider stepping outside for a cigarette.
Long story short, the Blaze fired back, and pulled out the 124-119 win. Brandon Roy contributed at whopping 52 points. Steve Blake contributed a 20 points 10 assist game. I was left with a an emotional chubby, and a loss for words.

Another note: You should've heard us shower Roy with MVP chants during the forth quarter. Everytime he scored, "M-V-P, M-V-P". Everytime he went to the line, "M-V-P, M-V-P,".

I am convinced that unless I am able to afford season tickets one day (god willing I will), I will never, ever see a game like this again. Incredible throw back to the 80's basketball that I unfortunately didn't get to witness. Great players, aggressive play, defense that only showed up when it was ABSOLUTELY needed, which resulted in an abnormally high score. And after all that, I got to witness Brandon Roy (now officially my favorite ATHLETE ever. Not just basketball player. ATHLETE) announce to the world that he needs to be treated like superstar that he is (this game was on TNT. And he gets no respect outside of basketball fans. 52 points while the TNT boys are calling the game, a big step toward acquiring a few more all star votes from the casual fan).

I went home after the game, not being able to say much more then "I can't believe he scored 52 points." I just repeated that over and over, and occasionally through in some expletives to convey my excitement.

It didn't change even after I had gotten home. I wanted to tell everyone about it, and show off my new Brandon Roy jersey (I'm broke, but I had to do it. I mean how many times will I get to see 50 +?).

All in all, it was an amazing experience. Full belly, cute girl, and then life changing game? Really? I'm not sure what I did to deserve all that, but I wish someone would tell me so I could rinse and repeat.

But hey, I'm going to take a nap now. I'm super tired. I didn't get to sleep much last night, I was smiling too much.

No comments: